Friday 8 July 2011

Interview - Kyra Pybus Part 2

In Part 1, we learnt about Kyra's background and how it has helped her get to where she is today. In Part 2 Kyra gives us an insight into the competitive world of PR and some of the challenges she's faced starting her own business.

6. Clients and consumers can connect with Pybus PR through Facebook, Vimeo, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr and Flickr. How important is social media not only for promoting your company, but also promoting your clients’ campaigns?
I think social is everything. Well, it is certainly the future. I use a clutch of digital platforms to get my clients out there,  many of which are not widely known about, even in the industry. The reality is that the traditional media really is in decline. Printed media will always be seductive, and its powerful, but it’s the online media that is truly effective in helping a label increase proffits. As I’ve been saying, we are all working more globally now, and clients need me to work out how conversations, mentions, links and tags about them can happen in another market, not just Australia. I’m so excited about all this.

When I have time I blog. My blog is on Tumblr. Tumblr is brilliant for the fashion industry. The Serious Way of the Gentle is a way of publishing links out about what clients and friends are doing. I don’t know of any business for which Facebook wouldn’t be useful. Whilst I do have a pressance within the mainstream social sites, I find some of the less ubiquitous ones more targeted and useful. Fashionising is ingenious and A Small World has proved quite useful for business.

7. Pybus PR has been running for nearly 3 years now. What have been some of the biggest challenges you’ve had to face starting your own business?
Obviously running a business involves discipline beyond just the PR stuff. I had been doing the business developent at an agency I was with before I established Pybus PR, so I had some idea of what I was in for. What I (and no one else) anticipated was the GFC. I kicked off just four weeks befor it hit. It was monumental. What I observed though is that agencies and businesses that had been tootling along quite well befor the GFC had had no real challenge against which to define themselves. They were really falling in a heap. The IBIS World report on the industry I just read has been very reassuring. It forecasts that because the communications needs of brands are evolving so rapidly the PR category will grow 6% anually untill 2016. I hope Pybus PR grows 60% for being a brave soldier for the past 3 years!

8. Since starting Pybus PR, have you had much support from the industry and government? What sort of support, programs or concessions would you like to see in the future?
I am really pleased that I am being shown a lot of interest by government organisations like Austrade, Women in Global Business and Business Victoria at the moment.
The fashion industry is a very collegial clan. I could name a hundred wonderful people who do so much to support the industry. Jan Breen Burns is a tremendous thought leader. The gentlemen who run Madame Virtue make so much time for those in the industry who show true talent and an ethical persuasion. Those are just a couple of Melbourne-town fashion heroes. Melbourne fashion is very blessed to have the L’Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival, which is partially funded by the government. That program has a structure that is very supportive of new talent and does so much for the status of the industry.

In terms of the PR industry, I must mention also that I really admire what a clever initiative Social Diary is, which on top of a number of other value-adds keeps the PRs from all holding events on the same evening. Tiffany Farrington has done us all a big favor!
As for the future, I hope that nannies and home help will soon become a tax deduction. Women are great at running businesses. More so than taking a client out for a long lunch, we need tax legislation that recognises how benaficial freeing working women up will be for the economy.

9. What are some of your greatest achievements and some of the most important lessons you’ve learnt since starting Pybus PR?
I have to say that my greatest achievement will be making it to three years, not out!
In terms of lessons; never trust anyone who tells you that doing their work, but without payment, will make your business look good.  Rubbish. They are only trying to manipulate you because you are less established. It can seem like a really good idea when you are trying to build a reputation, but really, who says that kind of thing!? Walk away.

10. What do you believe are some of the biggest issues facing the PR industry in the current economic climate?
I believe that PR consultancies that have not been too short-sighted to see the changes that are taking place in publishing are going to be rewarded.  There is so much we can do for our clients that weren't possible four or five years ago, and most of it is incredibly accesable. Especially for small, emerging labels. For those in the PR industry that have not yet adapted, the boat is being missed. Publishing has changed and that’s the biggest issue. Content creation is the biggest deal right now, and networks.

11. What’s next for Pybus PR?
Exciting times ahead! I am taking a small clutch of Australian labels to some hot spots in the Middle East later this year. These are labels that have burst their banks in their category domestically and now need to look at which overseas markets will work for them. I have sales strategy and of course a media event being planned for that region. The aim is to establish them with good  stockists and nail some great PR.

At the same time I am investing more in Melbourne. I am on the lookout for a sexy space that will become the new showroom.  It’s the next step so that the collections are more easily accessible for this towns’ talented stylists, writers, editors and publishers.

One other thing... I’m hoping to make a business relationship with a Melburnian fashion agent. Yes I know there are plenty in Sydney, but that’s not what I’m looking for. Someone who is committed to Melbs, but has their eye on overseas markets. This is more of a business partnership than a role, because right now Pybus PR dosen’t do any Fashion Sales Agency work. If they also know their manners in Arabic there might be a glammy business trip thrown in for free! If you can recommend someone, please point him or her in my direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Kyra for giving up your time to share with us your experiences in the PR and fashion industry! I wish you all the best with your wonderful business and have no doubt Pybus PR will not only to continue to have success in Australia, but around the world!

For more information check out Pybus PR's website or email Kyra at kyra@pybuspr.com.
Follow Pybus PR on Facebook.

Check out Pybus PR on Tumblr.

The talented Kyra has featured her clients in the following publications:






Images courtesy of Kyra Pybus

2 comments:

  1. This is such a fantastic interview, I learnt so much about Kyra through this! Thanks for sharing. xoxo, Veena <3

    http://seven-inch-stilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your lovely comments:)

    Kyra is not only an inspirational woman, but she is such a lovely person as well!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...