Tuesday 10 May 2011

Interview - Pamela Usanto Part 2

In Part 1 of my interview with Pamela we learnt a bit about her background her design aesthetic. In Part 2, we learn about challenges facing up-and-coming designers, and what Pamela has planned for her label.


6. You recently dressed AFI young best actress nominee Ashleigh Cummings, and Ashleigh Brewer at the Logies. How can dressing celebrities be beneficial for your label?
For a young designer like me, I am just happy to be given the opportunity. At the end of the day, I just want my clients to look confident and beautiful when they wear my designs. 


7. What are the major issues facing up-and-coming designers today?
There is not that many platforms that provide mentoring for young designers in Melbourne. I know most designers are very hush hush about their label, considering the competitiveness of this industry. 


I had to pretty much work my way alone, doing mistakes, and learning it the hard way. I just hope that there will be more opportunities for us to grow  (e.g. fashion shows, trade shows, etc.).


8. You have been involved in fashion events such as Catwalk Circus and The Design Awards for Myer’s Fashions on the Fields. Have you found the Australian fashion industry to be supportive?
I think a fashion show is just a show. It will only publicise your work for that moment. If you are lucky, other people will discover you and then you can build your fan base. 


Australian fashion industry is quite small, yet in my opinion, biased. They are more supportive to the labels that they already recognize. For the designers who are just starting, they have to work really hard to get somewhere. 


9. What are your plans for your label over the next 5 years?
My plan is to design more beautiful dresses, it sounds simple yet hard to achieve. 


For me, there is no point in aiming for fame or fortune, because at the end of the day I make clothes because I love it, and I want those who wear my clothes to feel happy and beautiful.


10. What do you love most about your job?
I love the process of being able to create something from a simple idea, to a finished garment.  


On top of that, it is just my personal satisfaction that I am finally doing what I have always wanted to do, so no matter how stressful or tiring it is, at the end of the day I just love it.


-------------------------------------------


The fashion industry is so competitive and as consumers, we are not always aware of the struggles that go into starting a label. It's great to get an insight from talented up-and-coming designers such as Pamela to allow us to appreciate their work more.

All the best for the future Pamela! 


Checkout Pamela's website here.
Find Pamela on Facebook here.
Follow Pamela's blog here.

Here are some of the beautiful pieces from Pamela's Madam Rose 2011 collection:






Images courtesy of http://pamelausanto.com and http://stylemelbourne.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...